What is Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a painless, procedure that uses aluminum oxide crystals and suction to perform three critical functions: exfoliate the skin to promote cell renewal at the basal layer and increase collagen production below, stimulate circulation to promote growth of healthy new cells, and vacuum away debris and impurities that clog pores and allow therapeutic products to penetrate better. Studies have shown that the best results are achieved after a total of 6 sessions performed every 2 weeks. The following visible effects are seen with microdermabrasion: reduction of fine wrinkling, evening of pigmentation, reduction in acne and superficial scars, and enhancement of skin tone for a more lustrous look.
Following the instructions listed below can help minimize complications associated with microdermabrasion and provide you with optimal results. During the first 24-48 hours you will have a mild “rosy glow” mimicking a mild sunburn. For the next few days your skin will be in a vulnerable state and may feel wind burned, therefore good skin care is imperative.
- Do not use retinoids (tretinoin, tazarotene, adapalene) 7 days before the procedure.
- Avoid use of over-the-counter products containing glycolic acid, alpha-hydroxy, salicylic acid or beta-hydroxy, retinol, benzoyl peroxide or other exfoliating products for 3 days before.
- Wait 2 weeks after a chemical peel, filler or Botox injections, waxing, electrolysis, or other hair removal treatments before receiving microdermabrasion.
- Do not have microdermabrasion done if you recently had isotretinoin or laser resurfacing.
- Inform your doctor if you are prone to cold sores as you will need prophylaxis.
- Avoid prolonged sun exposure for 7 days after the treatment.
- Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen daily with a minimum SPF of 30 containing physical blockers such as zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide. A recommended brand is EltaMD® UV Physical broad-spectrum sunscreen formulated for post-procedure skin.
- For 3 days avoid harsh washes and products containing glycolic acid, alpha-hydroxy, salicylic acid and beta-hydroxy, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, or other exfoliating agents.
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser such as Cetaphil® or Cerave® for the first 3 days.
- Avoid use of retinoid products (tretinoin, tazarotene, adapalene) on the face for 7 days.
- Moisturize the face with Hyalis by Neocutis® or another mild moisturizer twice daily.
- Refrain from Botox or fillers for 7 days after the treatment.
- Refrain from waxing, electrolysis, or other hair removal treatments for 30 days after the procedure.
Request a Consultation
(If you do not hear from us within 1 business day, please call us at (303) 761-0906)
Contact Colorado Center for Dermatology & Skin Surgery
Our team of board-certified dermatologists works diligently to provide our patients the best results. [INSERT TAG LINE] , please call the Colorado Center for Dermatology and Skin Surgery a call to schedule your appointment today!